I. Choose the word/ phrase (A, B, C or D) that best fits the space in each sentence. (2.5pts)
1. Disneyland_____________its 60th birthday on Saturday 18 July, 2015.
2. _____________the 3rd day of the Lunar New Year, pupils often pay their teachers a visit.
3. Our little son was sleepy when we were walking to the park;__________, we went home early.
4. People ____________do not love nature may not love anything else in life.
5. Speaker 1: "Excuse me. Do you mind if I sit here?" – Speaker 2: "______________"
B-Not at all! Go ahead.
D- Really? Good!
6. The small bamboo forest ____________the entrance to the village makes it picturesque.
7. About 70% of the earth's _______________is covered with water.
8. The teacher ____________Van if she had ever tried calling a helpline.
9. Speaker 1: "______________" - Speaker 2: "Sơn Đoòng is a new tourist destination."
A- Let's eat out this evening!
B-We need a holiday, dear!
C-I miss my relatives in Huế!
D-I'd like to cook something special food
10. I chose to buy the house in District 9 ___________avoid noise and pollution.
B-in order that
C-so as to
D-in order not
II. Choose the underlined word or phrase (A, B, C or D) that needs correcting. (0.5 pt)
III. Read the following letter. Decide if the statements from 13 to 16 are True or False, and choose the correct answer (A, B, C or D) for the questions 17 and 18.
I am writing this to tell you how much you are missed and loved, especially on such a special day as today. I will always remember that day – my graduation day. You were standing there with tears in your eyes while I was walking towards the stage to get my diploma, a moment in time that would last foreever. You are such a devoted father who has always taken very good care of family and me. I now live independently, Dad, and I've experienced the difficulties of being and adult, and I am going to have my own children with all the burden of being a parent. I understand and love you more. After all, I will always be your little naughty son! Happy Father's Day.
13. This is the letter written by a man to his father.
14. The father cried when his son was on his way to the stage.
15. The letter is sent from a son to his father on the son's graduation day.
16. The writer of this letter has no difficulty living an adult's life.
17. What is the letter mainly about?
A-The writer's study at university
B- The writer's childhood memory
C- The writer's thankfullness to the father
D- The writer's marriage life
18. Which of the following can be inferred from the letter?
A-The father is quite irresponsible
B-The writer is in disagreement with the father
C-The writer has a lot of experience in work
D-The writer very much respects the father
IV. Choose the word (A, B, C or D) that best fits the blank space in the following passage. (1,5 pts)
Britain will soon ban smoking in cars with children. Britain's government wants (19)_________ the harm cigarette smoke does to children. New laws will cut the chances of chilren passive smoking. This is when someone breathes in the (20)_________from other people's cigarettes. Many studies say passive smoking can almost be as (21)__________as actually smoking a cigarette. The British government says that it has looked at search poiting out that children who sit in smoke-filled cars have (22)__________problems. It is particularly bad in cars because there is so little space, so the car fills with smoke very quickly. (23)__________ agrees with the new law. Some lawmakers argue that it takes away the freedom for people to smoke in their own car. However, Britain's health minister states that the health of children is more (24)___________ than the freedom to smoke.
V. Choose the correct form of the word given in each sentence. (1.5 pts)
25. The local government has plans to _____________this city. [modern]
26. That exchange student can speak English and Spanish ___________. [fluent]
27. Nowadays, Vietnamese women still wear Ao Dai, especially on a special _________. [occasional]
28. Some styles of jeans in the 1960s were ___________jeans, painted jeans and so on. [embroider]
29. Too much ___________ on the parent spoils a child. [depend]
30. Despite the benefits of the Internet, the users sometimes suffer ________ risks. [variety]
VI. Rearrange the groups of words in a correct order to make complete sentences (0.5 pt)
31. considerable progress/ our parents were/ all of us had made/ happy to hear/./
32. and friendly environment/ to practise your English/ offers you a good/ the Academy of Language/./
VII. Rewrite each of the following sentences in another way so that it means almost the same as the sentence printed before it. (2.0 pts)
33. What a pity! We cannot try all the special food of the village.
We wish we _____________________________________________.
34. "I want to send my son to a university in the UK", she said.
She said that _____________________________________________.
35. You will pass this entrance examination with enough hard work.
If you don't work _____________________________________________.
36. The Prime Minister will open three more new schools in the town next autumn.
Three more new schools will _____________________________________________.
1. A 2. B 3. A 4. D 5. B 6. A 7. D 8. C 9. B 10. C
11. B (to travel - traveling)
12. B (that caused - that was caused)
13. True 14. True 15. False 16. False
17. C 18. D
19. C 20. D 21. A 22. C 23. C 24. A
25. (modern - modernize)
26. (fluent - fluently)
27. (occasional - occasion)
28. (embroider - embroidered)
29. (depend - dependence)
30. (variety - various)
31. Our parents were happy to hear all of us had made considerable progress.
32. The Academy of Language offers you a good and friendly environment to practise your English.
33. We wish we could try all the special food of the village.
34. She said that she wanted to send her son to a university in the UK.
35. If you don't work hard enough, you won't pass this entrance examination.
36. Three more new schools will be opened in the town next autumn by the Prime Minister.